Middle School Spring Athletics 2018
Dear Winged Lions,
Welcome to the 2018 Spring Athletics Season. Please click below for season specific information.
Middle School Athletics Director
Hello Runners and Parents!
Coaches Andrea Beckman, Sarah White, and I are super excited for this year's cross-country season. Please take a look at the information below, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to email me.
Season Calendar and Calendar Feed & Alerts
Access the Cross Country Practice & Meet Calendar (see above) and/or subscribe to calendar feeds to via the app or the website. The feed will pull to a web-based calendar, or even better, a phone.
If a change is made to the calendar, the updated date will automatically change in your phone if you are subscribed. Alerts can be setup to alert you of a game change or cancellation. This is also very helpful! When you subscribe to calendar feeds/alerts you will be notified instantly of last minute changes.
- C-Team: 6th grade girls AND boys will race at 4:00
- A-Team: 7th/8th girls AND boys will run at 4:30
Boys and girls will still be scored separately, but they will race at the same time.
Practice Times: 3:30 -4:30
Practice Locations: All practices will begin and end at Rowland Hall Middle School. We will train at various parks in our area, including Liberty Park, Sunnyside Park, and Bonneville Glen.
Transportation To and From Meets:
Transportation will be provided to and from each meet. There are departure times and approximate return times for each meet on the Cross Country Practice & Meet Calendar.
Athletics Pick-up and Extended Day Policy:
There is a 15-minute window for pick-up after athletics practices and games. If a student is not picked up during this time (e.g. 4:30 - 4:45 for an event ending at 4:30) s/he will be sent to Extended Day (MS Commons) and signed-in. Extended Day runs from 3:45-6:00pm.
We encourage everyone to make sure your shoes fit and that you still fit in your running rear. (There's nothing worse that starting the season with high-water sweats and tight shoes!) Please make an investment in your running shoes. We recommend Salt Lake Running Company. They will often give a 20% discount if you mention you are part of the Rowland Hall program. Race singlets are provided for meets. You may choose your own shorts, but keep them modest.
Runners are expected at each practice and meet. If you are unable to attend a practice or meet, it is the runner's responsibility to contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Andrea Beckman (email@example.com) to communicate their absence 24 hours prior to the practice or meet. If a runner misses two practices/meets without notifying us, they will be asked to withdraw from the team.
We will run in all weather conditions, so come prepared for anything! You are welcome to stash some extra gear in lockers near the main office.
Take care! Runners- we will see you on Wednesday, March 8
Mary Lawlor, Andrea Beckman, and Sarah White
A Team (7th & 8th graders)
Practice Coach: Bobby Kennedy
Game Coach A1 Green: Campbell Ainsworth
Game Coach A2 White: Tyler Fonarow
Preliminary Season Info:
- During T3A (Mon, 3/6 - Fri, 4/21) all practices will occur during the school day in 3rd period
- NO practices over spring break
- After T3A, practices will be held during the school day either at lunch or study hall.
- Games will begin in early April and the season concludes with the WAC Tourney on 5/15 & 5/17
- Games days are usually Mon/Wed and usually start at 4:00 pm
- No Friday commitments
Coach: Tyler Fonarow
- Kathy Howa
- Kendra Tomsic
- Harper Coleman-Houghton
- Rachel Nelson (RH alum)
Tentative Practice Schedule:
- Starts March 20th and ends May 24th
- Mon / Wed - during study hall
- If 15 or more players indicate a commitment to playing in the Taylorsville Rec League, we will enter a team into that league.
Taylorsville Rec League Info:
- Taylorsville Girls Softball Spring League Info
- If enough interest in Taylorsville league team, additional practice time on game day may occur
- Rowland Hall will cover the registration fee for softball players
- Rowland Hall will collect all registration forms and enter all players into the league ---> Please DO NOT mail in an individual registration form.
- Game days in the Taylorsville League include: two evenings per week and a Saturday daytime game
- League play may continue into June
- If we do NOT enter a team into the Taylorsville league, practices will still be held during the school day as listed above. Intra-squad game opportunities may occur in May.
Players will need the following equipment:
- At least an 11 inch glove, cleats, water bottle, and a helmet. Sliding knee pads and batting gloves are helpful but not required. Coaches will be able to help with equipment discounts.