Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) in the Middle School
Middle School STEM subjects help our active learners take their problem-solving skills to the next level. Sixth graders study life science and physical science, including air quality and other relevant local topics. Seventh grade covers earth science and physical science, and students travel to the Teton Science School in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, to learn about the ecosystem and outdoor exploration. Eighth grade presents a survey of physical sciences and scientific processes with an emphasis on hands-on experimentation, analytical thinking and problem solving, and development of technical communication skills.
Middle School math topics range from pre-algebra to geometry. Students hone problem-solving strategies through mathematical investigations. They analyze real-life situations and study how those situations can be modeled by linear, inverse, exponential, or quadratic relationships. Recognizing patterns, defining and manipulating variables, collecting and graphing data, and predicting outcomes are all central to the curriculum.
Sixth graders take Foundations of Computer Science, which culminates in the design of a game or an interactive story. STEM electives available for seventh and eighth graders include Computer Science, Robotics, and Make Club.
Middle School STEM news in Fine Print, the magazine of Rowland Hall:
- Encouraging Students to Embrace the Identity of a Scientist (March 2018)
- Meet Marcus Milling and Melissa Sharp, New Science Faculty (March 2018)
- Aviation Curriculum and Culture Takes Off Under Direction of Retired Navy Pilot (November 2017)
- Middle Schoolers Ace Mathcounts Competitions, Follow in Principal's Footsteps (June 2017)
- Students Show off STEAM Skills at First Annual Maker Day (June 2017)
- Upper, Middle Schoolers Win National EcoChallenge Prize, Endow Fund for Student Sustainability Projects (November 2016)
- Sixth Graders Inspired to Make Change (February 2016)
- Teens and Science in the Tetons (November 2015)
- Bridge Crushing Puts Math and Science to the Test (April 2015)
- Maker's Movement Comes to Our School (April 2015)
- Fractions in the Foothills (December 2014)